National Register of Historic Places


Miners Delight

Fremont County

Date Added to Register

Wednesday, June 04, 1980

Smithsonian Number

48FR435

Read all about it

The South Pass gold mining region is located in west-central Wyoming near the end of the Wind River Range. In the high-altitude environment of the South Pass mining region prospectors and miners scoured the landscape, working both placers and lodes for gold. Three camps in the region offered a social life where basic elements of civilization were obtainable in one form or another. One of these camps was Hamilton City, or Miners Delight as it is more commonly known, established in 1867. By far the greatest number of physical structures remaining in the immediate area are found at the Miners Delight townsite. Within it are seventeen structures including seven cabins, one saloon, one meat house, one shop or barn, one shaft house, one pantry, one cellar, three privies, and a corral. All are constructed of log or unfinished lumber. About a quarter of a mile west of the townsite is the Miners Delight mine. During its peak year of 1870, the census counted 75 inhabitants at Hamilton City, 40 of which were miners. Problems associated with working the mine efficiently, and the lack of productive ore, ended a chapter in Minders Delight history. From March 1882 until after the turn of the century, the Miners Delight Mine was not worked. Brief attempts to work the mine occurred again in 1907 and during the years 1932-1946 during the Great Depression.

Department of State Parks & Cultural Resources