National Register of Historic Places


Horner Site National Historic Landmark

Park County

Date Added to Register

Sunday, July 02, 1961

Smithsonian Number

48PA29

Read all about it

The Horner Site, located in the northern Bighorn Basin of Wyoming, was first investigated between 1949 and 1950 by a paleontologist from Princeton University, followed by archaeologists from the University of Pennsylvania, the University of Wisconsin, and the Smithsonian Institution. The bison bonebed site, which contained beautiful and well made chipped stone weapons and tools, became the type site of the Cody Complex. The stone tool assemblage included Eden and Scottsbluff projectile points and various styles of the Cody Knife. The University of Wyoming conducted further excavations in the late 1970s. Radiocarbon dates indicate that systematic bison procurement occurred for at least a thousand years of Paleoindian time around 9000 years B.P.

Department of State Parks & Cultural Resources