National Register of Historic Places


Rock Springs City Hall

Rock Springs

Date Added to Register

Thursday, May 15, 1980

Smithsonian Number

48SW4199

Read all about it

The Rock Springs City Hall is significant because of its architectural importance to the heritage of Rock Springs and its association with the governmental functions of the town. While Rock Springs gained its present size and stature as a railroad and mining center, it had its beginnings as an Overland Stage outpost in 1861. A stage station was built near the springs that was to give the town its name. In 1866 Archibald and Duncan Blair established a trading post opposite the station. In 1868 the first coal mine was opened under the auspices of the Blair Brothers. 1869 also marked the year that the Union Pacific Railroad was built through Rock Springs and the town quickly became the central terminal for stock herds being shipped to market from Rocky Mountain cattle raising country. In 1888 Rock Springs was incorporated as a town. It was at this time that the town began to think about its needs for a structure to house its various governmental functions. In 1893 the citizens voted to fund the building of a city hall. Construction began in 1894 and by 1895 the governmental functions of the town were operating out of their new City Hall. The building is also significant because it is one of the last remaining examples of Richardsonian Romanesque architecture left in southwestern Wyoming.

Department of State Parks & Cultural Resources