National Register of Historic Places


Jackson Lake Lodge National Historic Landmark

Grand Teton National Park, Wyoming

Date Added to Register

Thursday, July 31, 2003

Smithsonian Number

48TE1140

Read all about it

On a high terrace overlooking a marshy willow flat and Jackson Lake, with the Grand Teton Range as a backdrop, stands the Jackson Lake Lodge, a predominantly International Style hotel completed in 1955 in the Grand Teton National Park, Jackson Hole, Wyoming. Gilbert Stanley Underwood, former Supervising Architect of the United States, designed the lodge and its component buildings for John D. Rockefeller, Jr.'s Grand Teton Lodge and Transportation Company. In addition to the main lodge building, the complex includes a series of ''cottages,'' one-story attached room units in groups of four to ten. Most of the cottages came about as part of the construction of the Jackson Lake Lodge complex. Others at the outer fringes of the grouping date later, from the 1960s and 1970s. Also part of the Jackson Lake Lodge complex is a stable and a gas station dating from the period of initial construction. Located within the landmark boundary are cottages and two-story guest lodgings, employee housing units, a swimming pool added in 1964, a medical station and a telephone utility building, all constructed after the period of significance (1950-1955) and considered non-contributing to the NHL district. A system of driveways, walkway and trails are considered integral to the district. The integrity of the Jackson Lake Lodge and its associated buildings, the exceptional importance of the integrated modern/rustic architectural design of the building as a precursor to the modern architecture in the National Parks known as Mission 66, and its association with nationally renowned architect Gilbert Stanley Underwood, contribute to its exceptional national significance under National Historic Landmark criteria.

Department of State Parks & Cultural Resources