State Historic Preservation Office
Greg Pierce named new State Archaeologist

National Register of Historic Places


Wort Hotel

Jackson, Wyoming

Date Added to Register

Thursday, December 09, 1999

Smithsonian Number

48TE1216

Read all about it

The Wort Hotel has been known as ''The Heart of Jackson'' since 1941 and continues to provide special Wyoming hospitality to visitors, old timers and newcomers of Jackson Hole. The Wort Hotel is located at the southeast corner of Broadway and Glenwood Streets, one block west of the internationally recognized elk antler arches on the Jackson Town Square. The building is an eclectic style reminiscent of Medieval architecture, most significantly Tudor, based on its peaked roof line, gabled wall dormers and decorative half timbers applied to the second story stucco. Locally, it is also described as a Swiss-Alpine style. The Silver Dollar Bar and Grill can be entered by a hallway leading from the hotel lobby. Jackson's famous watering hole got its name in 1950 when a hand-crafted elongated ''S'' shaped bar, inlaid with 2,032 uncirculated 1921 silver dollars was installed. Mounted above the bar, echoing its ''S'' shape are 13 panels of a burnt leather mural by well-known western artist, Paul Clowes. Each of the panels depicts an authentic episode of Jackson Hole history. The Wort Hotel was constructed by brothers John and Jess Wort in 1941 in honor of their father, Charles Wort, who in the early 1900s envisioned an elegant hotel in Jackson Hole to house tourists and visitors to the area. It became the first luxury hotel in the Jackson Hole valley and remains today a famous Jackson landmark.

Department of State Parks & Cultural Resources