State Historic Preservation Office
**Media Advisory** Hell Gap Dedication

National Register of Historic Places


University Neighborhood Historic District

Laramie

Date Added to Register

Friday, December 18, 2009

Smithsonian Number

48AB1938

Read all about it

The Laramie University Neighborhood District encompasses a substantial portion of the residential area south of the University of Wyoming. Known locally as the “tree area,” the district extends roughly from University Avenue on the north to Custer Street on the south, and 6th Street on the west to 15th Street on the east. The district comes within one block of the eastern boundary of the Laramie Downtown Historic District (NR, 11/10/88). The district is largely contained within the plat of the original town; however, the blocks between 11th and 13th Streets were platted under the Union Pacific Company’s 4th Addition, and the blocks between 13th and 15th Streets were platted under the First Grand Avenue Addition. All three plats provided for wide streets, alleyways and tree strips, giving the district continuity in plan and layout.

Initially local businessmen, ranching families and railroad workers built the homes in the district, with development generally proceeding from west to east. The real growth occurred from the 1900s through the 1940s, reflecting a period of intense growth for the University of Wyoming. By 1958, the end of the period of significance, almost all of the lots had been in-filled, which accounts for the low number of buildings that are noncontributing due to age.

Department of State Parks & Cultural Resources