National Register of Historic Places


Pioneer School

Near Clark

Date Added to Register

Tuesday, October 05, 1993

Smithsonian Number

48PA1438

Read all about it

The Pioneer School was designed by architect Curtis Oehme and constructed by H. P. Anderson in 1914. The original school consisted of one large classroom on the ground floor with a double door in the entry and a storage closet. In 1953 work was completed on a two-room teacherage addition to the east end of the building which consisted of a combination living room, kitchen, and one bedroom. In 1956 the school was upgraded and a music room addition was constructed on the north side. The Pioneer School is an early twentieth century rural school significant as a site of education in an isolated and sparsely populated farming and ranching community. It represents a substantial physical improvement over the one-room log school. It also reflects the early twentieth century movement toward improved standard school facilities. This standard school plan is reflected in the high ceilings and large floor space, a cloak room and large multi-paned banks of windows set high in the walls. Pioneer School held classes from 1914-1969. Class rolls indicate that enrollment fluctuated from as few as five students to as many as twenty-eight students over the years. School District #4 consolidated with Powell School District #1 in 1969. On August 14, 1970, the Pioneer School, along with two acres, was deeded to the Pioneer Service Group to be used as a Community Center. The Center has been used to hold dances, extension club meetings, card parties, anniversary and wedding parties, receptions, benefits, carry-in dinners, and the Clark Reunion, serving as a gathering place and landmark tying the community to its past.

Department of State Parks & Cultural Resources