in 1862, troops were stationed at Platte Bridge Station, later Fort Caspar,
for the purpose of protecting the emigrants and guarding the telegraph lines.
On July 26, 1865, a supply train led by Sgt. Amos Custard was bringing three
supply wagons from Sweetwater Station near Independence Rock. Around noon
on that day, as the troops neared Platte Bridge
Station in the vicinity of Red Buttes, they were attacked by a large group
of Indians. Following a four hour battle, the troops were overrun and Sgt.
Custard, along with twenty-one of his men, were killed. Three soldiers survived
and made it to Platte Bridge Station. That same morning, a troop of twenty
men under the command of Lt. Caspar Collins had gone out to assist
the supply train in returning to Platte Bridge Station. A mile west of the
post, the group was ambushed by a large contingent of Sioux, Cheyenne, and
Arapaho Indians. As the troops retreated, the Indians killed four men, including
Lt. Collins. As a tribute to his memory, the Army renamed the post Fort
Caspar. It was not named Fort Collins because a post in Colorado had recently
been named that in honor of the young lieutenantís father, Col. W. O. Collins.
National Park Service
Comprehensive Management Plan
There is a marker for this battle on the north side of State Route 220 at a paved turnout about .6 mile west of Robertson Road on the west edge of Casper, Wyoming. The actual battle site is about two miles north of the marker.