|Video file not available yet. Coming summer of 2003.|
Bridger, along with his partner Louis Vasquez, established their first trading
post along the
Black Fork of the Green River in 1843. Their clientele existed almost exclusively
of westward bound emigrants since the Green River Basin fur trade had essentially
died out by that time. Bridger predicted the location "promises fairly"
and the site saw every major development of the West pass by its doors.
The fort welcomed mountain men and Indians, westward emigrants and Mormon
pioneers, the Pony Express and Overland Stage, the Union Pacific Railroad,
and the U.S. Army.
The Mormons established Fort Supply, for its emigrants, about twelve miles south of here in 1853. Two years later, Lewis Robison, supported by Brigham Young, purchased this site from Jim Bridger for $8000 and for two years, trade continued much as it had. Then, in early 1857, Young advised Robison to fortify the post, in anticipation of the coming of the U.S. Army, dispatched to Utah to replace Young as governor. Robison completed his fortified walls in August 1857. Just before the Army reached Fort Bridger in November, the Mormons burned both Fort Supply and Fort Bridger before retreating. One wall of Robisonís fortifications still exists and archeology has recently been done in this area.
The Army took possession
of Fort Bridger in 1858 and turned it into a military post. In spite of
temporary abandonment during the Civil War and again in the 1870s, the
post remained U.S. Government property until 1890 when it was abandoned.
Many buildings were sold at public auction and were moved off site to
become private homes, barns, bunk houses and the like. The buildings that
remained fell into disrepair until the 1930s when locals spearheaded a
drive to preserve and restore what remained of old Fort Bridger. The property
was dedicated as a Wyoming
Historical Landmark and Museum in 1933.
Located in the village of Fort Bridger, on Business Loop I-80.
Fort Supply is located on the south side of Uinta County Road 274, about 3 miles southwest of Robertson, Wyoming. Inquire locally for directions and conditions.
National Park Service
Comprehensive Management Plan