This sandstone cliff, located on the west side of the Green River, was a popular place for the emigrants to leave their signatures, indicating their successful negotiation of the Green. Today, Names Hill is noted most often for the inscription of "James Bridger, Trapper, 1844." Since Bridger is known to have been illiterate, the "signature" lends itself to controversy. Some contend that Bridger may have known enough to write his own name. Others believe that he had a traveling companion inscribe it for him. Still others suspect it was inscribed much later by someone who knew that the old trapper would have often made this trek. In any case, it is a fitting reminder of this seasoned mountain man, guide, and explorer whose name has been well-engraved in the annals of history.
are also found on Names Hill. J. Goldsborough Bruff, who sketched this
formation, described them this way: "…vertical cliffs of a mouse-colored
sandstone, on the face
of which was engraved with a fine-pointed instrument, an Indian diagram,
representing 43 rifles, nearly vertical, and a chief and horse, apparently
separated from 4 other Indians and a horse laying down, by a streak with
a small fork to it…." Bruff also noted the nearby grave of "Mary,
Consort of J. M. Fulkerson, Died July 14, 1847." This is the mother
of Frederick Fulkerson whose
grave is located near Devil’s Gate . Unfortunately,
Mary Fulkerson’s grave is no longer to be found.
On the west side of U.S. 189 about 6 miles south of LaBarge.
National Park Service
Comprehensive Management Plan